Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Black Female Cosplay Guide

When I began cosplaying in 2006, I recall encountering another newbie cosplayer on the Internet. She expressed her frustration on the lack of Black characters there was to choose from. Many of us told her she could cosplay whomever she wanted but the girl said she preferred to cosplay characters within her race. This recently gave me the idea to create a Black Cosplay Character Guide for both males and females (just in time for Black History month). Now before anyone asks why a Latina is writing this article, I want to make my intentions clear. I am not limiting anyone. My goal to is to help those who are exploring options within their race.


In my early days of cosplay I must admit, I didn't have much help. Although I reached out veteran cosplayers, I found myself very much on my own. As the years passed, I met some amazing cosplayers who were more than willing to help and accept me. The costume community has given me so much and now that I have the experience, I am eager to give back. I have gathered characters and reference pictures of Black female characters from Sci-Fi, comics, cartoons and movies. In part 2 of this article, I will focus on Black Male characters. Below is my list, in no particular order.


1. Martha Jones - "Dr. Who"

~~~~~~~



2. Princess Tiana - "Disney's The Princess and the Frog"

~~~~~~~


3. Uhura - "Star Trek" (Classic and Modern)

~~~~~~~



4. Storm - "X-Men" (Comic and Movie variant)

~~~~~~~


5. Vixen - "DC Comics"

~~~~~~~


6. Catwoman - "Batman" (1960's Eartha Kitt variant)

~~~~~~~


7. Bumble Bee - "DC Comics"

~~~~~~~


8. Fran - "Final Fantasy XII"

~~~~~~~



9. Foxy Brown - "Foxy Brown"

~~~~~~~



10. Aisha - "Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers"

~~~~~~~



11. Clawdeen Wolf - "Monster High"

~~~~~~~



12. Fatality - "DC Comics"

~~~~~~~



13. Jinx - "James Bond"

~~~~~~~



14. Foxxy Cleopatra - "Austin Powers"

~~~~~~~


15. Steel - "DC Comics" (Natasha Variant)

~~~~~~~



16. Fortune - "Metal Gear Solid 2"

~~~~~~~



17. Valerie - "Josie and the Pussycats"

~~~~~~~



18. Niobe - "Matrix Reloaded"

~~~~~~~



19. Angelina Johnson - "Harry Potter" (Quidditch Captain)

~~~~~~~



20. Michonne - "The Walking Dead"

~~~~~~~



21. Tia Dalma - "Pirates of the Caribbean"

~~~~~~~



22. Nubia - "DC Comics" (Alternate Universe Wonder Woman)

~~~~~~~

23. Iridessa - "Tinker Bell"











19 comments:

  1. i honestly forgot about some of these characters..some i never heard of.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't forget Misty Knight! :)http://marvel.com/universe/Knight,_Misty

    ReplyDelete
  3. Look up Pulsar. She is an awesome avengers character if you are looking for more cosplays!

    ReplyDelete
  4. As an Indian girl who also likes cosplay, this is wonderful. As much as I lament the scarcity of Indian characters in any fandom, I can't gripe much any more than any other minority (and to top that, Indian sub-culture hasn't done zip for the fandom community).
    Also, loving the variety in this list, from Martha Jones, to Fatality! (a quickie you missed is Zoe from Firefly!) A helpful side note might be a list of non-traditionally black, but also dark-skinned characters. A couple off the top of my head are Katara, Korra, and Yue from Avatar, the Last Airbender, Esmerelda from Hunchback of Notre Dame and Murumuru from Mirai Nikki

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. I also thought that Korra and Katara was black or mixed. I thought Yue was too just with blue eyes. Like Japanese Characters always got something that normal Japanese girls and guys don't traditionally have. But I agree they should be up there though.

      Delete
    2. That is hard. I saw a woman dressed as Sally from Being Human (US) yesterday at Dragoncon. It occurred to me (again) that there are too few iconic roles for non-white people.

      Delete
  5. Also pulling off Mystique isn't so hard to do. With black or mixed races our bone structure makes the character pop. I tried the classic version at Metrocon and found it to be a hit. Btw I found out hairspray woulda helped my paint stay on lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm interested in costuming, I'm black and there is a dirth of black female characters. thanks so much for the list!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Please PLEASE include the following characters on your list:

    Sheva Alomar from Resident Evil 5 (the video game) - she has like 5 outfits in the game

    Elena from Street Fighter III series

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow this is by far one of the if not THE most helpful Cosplay info that I have found on the web. I mean not only was your list ROCKIN but the people who posted were ALL positive and added greatly to the topic as well.

    Kudos to ALL OF YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Since the Scouting Legion is constantly on the front line, fighting Titans, its high fatality, low success rate (if at all) discourages most people from joining the legion. Thus, the legion suffers an all-time personnel shortage and the only soldiers who enter the Scouting Legion are dedicated to the cause of humanity usually at the cost of their own lives! This is the Eren Jaeger cosplay costume for Recon Corps (Scouting Legion) in Attack on Titan!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Check out this fantasy ebook I found with a black girl lead named Bridget Reid. She wields a huge green sword, It's called Landwhig's Pride. You don't see many black characters with swords, let alone a girl.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you! I'm thinking either Valerie or Michonne for Houston Con this weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great list! There is also:
    Lana Kane from the Archer animated series http://www.google.com/#q=lana+kane+pic&facrc=_&imgrc=n91VlWSl2p51cM%253A%3Bundefined%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwallpaperwind.com%252Fthumbnails%252Fdetail%252F20131202%252Farcher%252520tv%252520lana%252520kane_wallpaperwind.com_89.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwallpaperwind.com%252FRecreation%252FTV%252Farcher_tv_lana_kane_67192%3B450%3B253

    Mrs Fredric from Warehouse 13 http://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&source=android-browser&hl=en-US&q=mrs+frederic#hl=en&q=mrs+frederic+picture&facrc=_&imgrc=cyNJR2WN6we17M%253A%3Bundefined%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fscifi4me.files.wordpress.com%252F2011%252F10%252Fnup_143542_0271.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fscifi4me.com%252F2011%252F10%252F12%252Fdid-warehouse-13-blow-it%252F%3B600%3B400

    Foxxy Love from Drawn Together animated serieshttp://media.photobucket.com/user/kitana9/media/NF1/Anime/foxxy.jpg.html?filters[term]=foxxy%20love&filters[primary]=images&filters[secondary]=videos&sort=1&o=16

    Leshawna from Total Drama Island animated series http://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&source=android-browser&hl=en-US&q=total+drama+island#hl=en-US&q=leshawna+picture+total+drama&facrc=_&imgrc=ZWBVyltXyG2ikM%253A%3Bundefined%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.polyvore.com%252Fcgi%252Fimg-thing%253F.out%253Djpg%2526size%253Dl%2526tid%253D27601238%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.polyvore.com%252Fleshawna_total_drama_wiki_island%252Fthing%253Fid%253D27601238%3B300%3B300

    ReplyDelete
  14. Another one is Annie Sawyer from Being Human (UK). Sally Malik from the US version of Being Human could also work. Thanks to actress Zoe Saldana we can add Gamora from the Gardians of the Galaxy movie, Anamaria from Pirates of the Carribean, and Neytiri from Avatar.

    Gina Torres was Cas in the Matrix series, Jasmine on Angel, Helen Carter on Cleopatra 2525, and Nebula on Hercules: The Legendary Journey.

    ReplyDelete