Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Marking 12 years since the day I nearly died

Going out for a drive with your mother to run some errands is something that millions of teenagers do every day. After making the rounds to the grocery store, the bank or car wash you head home to prepare dinner and spend time with the family. On March 1, 1999 however, my mother and I never made it home. While traveling down the highway, a car in the opposite lane went through a red light and hit my mother's car (she was driving). Our 4x4 Blazer spun across the highway before smashing into a telephone pole. I was in the passenger's seat where the telephone pole had struck and was trapped. I was in and out of consciousness. I recall the first thing I saw was my left hand and it was bleeding. My mother was holding it. It was a cold day and several people were standing around watching us. One man said help was on the way. I couldn't feel nor see my right arm and feared it had been cut off. I kept passing out and when I woke up, my mother was gone and I could hear and feel a drill on the door that was crushed up against me. It took firemen twenty minutes to get me out with the jaws of life.

In the ambulance, my leather jacket was cut off of my body and I was screaming that it was my bestfriend's birthday. I remember arriving at the hospital but then blacked out. When I woke up again I was in ICU and recall seeing a clock on the wall that was set to milary time and several men and women in white coats. I thought I was going to die. I honestly thought this was it and I didn't know what happend to my mother. When I awoke again I was surrounded by what looked like my entire family. Everyone was crying and upset, my mother was gripping my hand. Turns out I had 17 fractures, two blood transfusions and three titanium rods were put in my body; two in my right arm, one in my right leg. Doctor's weren't sure if I'd be able to walk again.

It's amazing when you can no longer do simple things like tie your shoes or go to the bathroom by yourself. Standing is impossible and it is a truly scary thought indeed when no one knows if you will even be able to walk. I spent about two months in two seperate hospitals and was released early because of my determination in therepy. I pushed myself because I wanted to go home and be with my family. The power of prayer also prevailed; I was told I should have died and it was a miracle I was alive. Furthermore I did NOT sustain any head or back injuries. Once I began therepy I was told I should be walking within a year and a half, maybe one year. I was walking again in nine months. I was apparently a miracle and it was because of the love of my family and friends and prayer.

So now it's twelve years later. I have since gotten the metal rods removed from my arm but still have the one in my leg. I have scars on my arm, wrist and leg and suffer from bone pain when winter hits or when it rains. But I am alive so I have no complaints. It wasn't my time to go. I truly feel I lived to be part of my niece's lives. They were born a few years after the accident. I continue to draw breath for them. I have two successful careers as a teacher and a model, have my loving family and friends and I beat the odds by living and walking. Life hasn't been easy, but that ordeal taught me alot about my self, my faith and the importance of family and loved ones.

 Official Facebook


  1. I'm happy you made it, girl! Life wouldn't be the same without you in it.

  2. Thank for sharing your story Victoria. I had a similar experience as well. Your fierce determination is very inspiring. :D

    PS You are currently getting a tribute of the month @ my cosplay group on Facebook and was unaware of the timing. I am going to share your story with the group. Thanks for sharing!

  3. Hi Lotus Flower and thanks so much for reading and for your comment! I'm honored to be featured on your facebook group. Can you please send me a link (either post it here or email: cosplay.girl@yahoo.com). Thank you! <3

  4. Thank you for sharing this deeply personal part of your life with us. It was very inspirational to read